Thursday, February 19, 2015

Journalism I - Bus Project

I took a Lyft to the bus stop at Beach and Polk Street and it was a perfect contrast to the bus ride itself. My driver, Robert, and I listened to Jazz and talked mountain bikes. When I got to my destination, the stop read '40 minutes' until the next arrival. Normally, I would have been upset to wait that long, but I was amazed at how much beauty was around me. I hate to admit it, but I'd never been to this area before and the surroundings were. I chose a perfect, sunny day to do this project.

When I got on the bus it wasn't too crowded but once I got closer to the heart of the city I found it hard to keep track of all the people getting on and off the bus. One thing that really resonated with me was the fact that I take for granted how much diversity I get to be around. There were people of all ages, ethnicities, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Another thing I noticed is that there is so much you can gather about a person without even talking to him or her. I was fortunate to have really interesting characters on my route; from Cobalt Blue, the jazz fest poster designer, to Mr. "Gold Blooded" slumped over with an unlit cigarette in his mouth.

When I took the bus back home, I texted my friend Gigi "I just had the most enlightening experience of my life". Although, it was a hyperbolic statement, the basis of it was very true. I was the minority for the duration of the ride, yet I didn't feel unwelcome. The majority of the passengers were Black and had such an admirable sense of community with each other. Men that had never met spoke like brothers. It was an amazing feeling to observe.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Ella,

    I'm happy to read your take on the bus reporting experience. I'm glad you saw parts of the city and interactions among people you hadn't been exposed to before. Although there's some elements for you to work on in your story, you got the spirit of the assignment. I hope you venture into other routes on your own.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete